CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Aaron Brink

Profile:
Saying Hello

Hey guys my name is Aaron Brink I live in Altus, Oklahoma where I'm a Certified Personal Trainer and the Strength and Conditioning Coach for Western Oklahoma State College Basketball. I have to say I have always taught a lot of concepts like Crossfit I just haven't ever came to putting it all together like you guys have. I'm young though. I have to say great job in making the most effective workout program around. Hoping to add a lot to the community.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Aaron Brink

Profile:
Re: Saying Hello

By the way Fran sucks. I thought i was going to die.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Welcome. I'm curious what kind of training do you put your basketball players through mainly? I assume it would be useful to have a bunch of sprint intervals kind of like football as well as a lot of GPP related fitness.

And yes, Fran is indeed a blower.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Welcome to the boards.

Right now I'm trying to gain mass n strenght so I'm staying away from the metcon area of the workouts. It's like heaven right now; I'm so dreading the day once I start shredding down for summer.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Aaron Brink

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Welcome. I'm curious what kind of training do you put your basketball players through mainly? I assume it would be useful to have a bunch of sprint intervals kind of like football as well as a lot of GPP related fitness.

And yes, Fran is indeed a blower.
Truly it can be anything and my boys know to come prepared for that. Mainly pre season centers around a lot of concepts like Crossfit. Varied, basic movements at high intensity. We do spend a good amount of time following a progressive overload program along with other concepts such as progressive explosiveness training on adjustable plyo boxes. Weighted jumps, jump lunges, jump squats, sleds, weighted ball passes to help increase pass speed with the ball and my personal favorite is speed latter while dribbling or getting a pass. It makes those tall uncoordinated guys look like Randy Moss by the first game. I have to it would take to long to tell you everything but with basketball you have to adapt to the season you can't push hard like you do in pre season when you're in season and post season is totally different to. Its always varied which is what life and fitness is about.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Kelly Flora

Profile:

Aaron-
What kind of personal training certification did you get? I was thinking about getting mine too until I ran into this crossfit craze