CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
Jake Winwood

Profile:
Re: 100m Sprinter and crossfit

Your right mate, they are very good questions! Ones that are exactly what I'm trying to find the answers for.

Since starting and introducing Oly lifting I have noticed that my power out of the blocks and acceleration has increased. In the last 3 months I took my Clean and Jerk from 135 to 225, My deadlift has also increased from 330 to 396. Since we haven't really been timing my runs over the last 3 months I don't really have an indication of my 100m times but going on my other progresses it should have dropped.

What exactly is the black box method I've herd about it but haven't looked into it to see what it is.

Thanks so much George, Steve, and Anthony I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me
Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

If you can, I would try to e-mail/talk with some the coaches who get their athletes into the 100m finals about how they train their athletes. I am almost positive that they don't do any type of metcons unless they're genetic freaks (which I am sure a lot of them are.. not that they would do it anyway).
Old 11-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i think that the 'metcon' work is going to make you a better athlete generally.

as such, that is a wider base from which to grow, and better recovery

when training does get more specific later, he will be better prepared and more well rounded, and his career will last longer from having spent more time in the GPP phase with stuff like xfit.

more power to you!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #14
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Steve, Lower-Body MetCon Example
I know there's a MetCon called "Run-Squat-Run," which I think was...
400m run, 100 squats, 400m run, 75 squats, 400m run, 50 squats, 400m run, 25 squats, 400m run
Or something along those lines.

Re: Jake
If you want any sort of MetCon do a search on the www.PerformanceMenu.com (Work/Family Safe) forums for "Power Biased MetCon." Though, I'd still go with sprints, Olympic lifts, deadlifts, back squats, and running drills as the staples of your program.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M Struck View Post
i think that the 'metcon' work is going to make you a better athlete generally.

as such, that is a wider base from which to grow, and better recovery

when training does get more specific later, he will be better prepared and more well rounded, and his career will last longer from having spent more time in the GPP phase with stuff like xfit.

more power to you!
I already argued where this would be a negative as training is cumulative on muscle fiber type, CNS and muscle functionality. In other words, it would not be a good idea to build a conditioning base from metcon.

--------------

Yeah, interested Patrick. Although I still would not do it if his goal is to be a top 100m sprinter. Even power biased metcons you're going to have what I was arguing against.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
Bernard Edwards

Profile:

Crossfit will be a great conditioning tool for you bro. You need all of your muscles to work together for sprinting - so keep doing crossfit to keep conditioned.

The stuff your coach adds, such as sprint specific routines, block starts, ladders, etc will be more than enough for your sprint focus. Think of it like this, if all the other sprinters are only doing sprint work and you are doing sprint work plus crossfit you will have a serious advantage.

This is personal opinion, but as someone who was an All-europe sprinter and has played Semi-pro football I can tell you that sprint work alone is not enough when you are trying to break the 10 sec mark from 10.7

Check out this work and family safe link out http://www.parisischool.com/
They are utilized by many top sprinters and NFL players to assist with what you are looking for. They also have some great articles.

Here is an excerpt from one of the speed articles "The important thing to remember is that sprinting is a body weight exercise. Athletes with good sprinting speed always have the ability to perform other body weight exercises such as push-ups, chin ups, and jumping with equal dexterity. In every athlete’s initial evaluation we test his or her relative strength with the chin up test and the vertical jump as well as our standard 10, 20 and 40-yard dashes. It is from these tests that we prescribe a program to fit their needs"

Hope this helps ya Good luck bro!