CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #41
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: My Weightlifting Shoe Reviews (VS, Pendlay, Adidas, Nike, Reebok)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I'm cringing right now.
Seriously. I am as well. Had an old coach who would do met cons sometimes with his oly shoes. Box jumps, etc. yikes.....
Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #42
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Miller Jr View Post
i use my adipowers for heavy met cons all the time. box jumps, jump rope, even short runs. they have held up great.
Sorry to pile on Mac but I'm feeling the same way Jeff and Andrew are, I've had a pair of Adipowers for almost two years now. Only wear them for weightlifting now but I use them 3-5 times a week. jumping rope isn't so bad, I used to do DU's in them with no problem. Box jumps are iffy and running is just a bad idea simply from the standpoint that you'll wear out the sole if you keep it up. The soles on the Adipowers are thin and not designed for that kind of wear. Obviously they're your shoes and you can do as you wish but I just wouldn't run or do box jumps in those.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #43
Nicholas Metzger

Profile:

Hey everyone, thanks a bunch for the insight, I have read through this post and all the knowledge is greatly helpful as I continue on the adventure of "figuring out these Oly lifts" (I have been doing CrossFit for about 9 months now and before February, I had never even touched a barbell before).

My question is this: If I get a pair of Oly lifting shoes, I am sure I will see a big difference in my lifts (I have been wearing the Nano 2.0's up until this point). When I do more of a WOD setting, combining Oly lifts with box jumps, running, rope climbs, etc., will I notice a big step back going back to lifting in my Nano's?

I would like to try to give some Oly lifting shoes a shot, because I really like to focus on improving my lifting, but if the step up will render me useless lifting in Nano's, I am not sure I should make that step (as I like the whole CrossFit aspect). Thoughts?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #44
Jeff Enge

Profile:

That's why it is important to not use the shoes as a crutch.

Unless you have really good mobility, no, you're not probably not going to be able to max out snatch, clean and jerk or squats as much in normal shoes as you will in lifting shoes. But that's not what you're going for in a CF MetCon that includes things you wouldn't wear the lifting shoes for.

Also remember, you can still do things like Fran, Elizabeth, Grace, Isabel, etc with lifting shoes on.

Keep working mobility and getting comfortable in a deep squat without the shoes and you should be generally fine.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #45
Nicholas Metzger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
That's why it is important to not use the shoes as a crutch.

Unless you have really good mobility, no, you're not probably not going to be able to max out snatch, clean and jerk or squats as much in normal shoes as you will in lifting shoes. But that's not what you're going for in a CF MetCon that includes things you wouldn't wear the lifting shoes for.

Also remember, you can still do things like Fran, Elizabeth, Grace, Isabel, etc with lifting shoes on.

Keep working mobility and getting comfortable in a deep squat without the shoes and you should be generally fine.
Perfect, thanks for the input. My lifts have been improving massively in the Nano's, just wanted to make sure.

Maybe next year at Regionals I can score a deal on some Oly shoes.