CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Hamze Abdi

Profile:
learning how to squat deep

In http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

How long should I be able to hold onto a doorframe(assisted squat) before it means I can do a shallow third-world squat?

Like, should I be able to hold the position for 2 minutes before moving on?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: learning how to squat deep

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but some pictures or videos of you trying to squat would help diagnose the issue. Whatever it is, some time spent at mobilitywod.com will definitely help you. And there's no need to build up to a third world squat...just start doing it and extending your range of motion and you'll be better off. Also look at anything else you can do to improve your hip, hamstring, glute, and thoracic mobility.

Can you do a full-depth goblet squat? Like this (WFS) but with knees out more. If you can do that without your form falling apart then you've probably got enough mobility to start putting a bar on your back and squatting. For me it's actually easier to get into a good rock-bottom squat with a dumbbell in front of me or with a bar in the front rack than it is without any weight.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but some pictures or videos of you trying to squat would help diagnose the issue. Whatever it is, some time spent at mobilitywod.com will definitely help you. And there's no need to build up to a third world squat...just start doing it and extending your range of motion and you'll be better off. Also look at anything else you can do to improve your hip, hamstring, glute, and thoracic mobility.

Can you do a full-depth goblet squat? Like this (WFS) but with knees out more. If you can do that without your form falling apart then you've probably got enough mobility to start putting a bar on your back and squatting. For me it's actually easier to get into a good rock-bottom squat with a dumbbell in front of me or with a bar in the front rack than it is without any weight.
Hmm. I'll see if I can do a full-range goblet squat.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Well uh, apparently I can do a parallel squat with a 45 pound bar if that means anything.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
John Donovan

Profile:

I was in your same situation not too long ago. What I did was watch lots of MWod videos relating to hip and ankle mobility(search squat), practice what I saw on the videos, Goblet squats are awesome. I happened upon a video from the Outlaw Way called "barbell yoga" which was eye opening. Basically you take a loaded bar(heavy enough to feel weight but light enough to not get buried), squat as deep as possible and stay there 10-30 sec. Do 5-10 of these 3 times a week and you should see an improvement.
32/5'10"/233. 500m row-1:39/1000m row-3:53/2k row- 8:12/DL-495, FS-325, Back squat- 440, Press-205, Snatch-96kg, C&J-121Kg, 5k run- 27:30
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Donovan View Post
I was in your same situation not too long ago. What I did was watch lots of MWod videos relating to hip and ankle mobility(search squat), practice what I saw on the videos, Goblet squats are awesome. I happened upon a video from the Outlaw Way called "barbell yoga" which was eye opening. Basically you take a loaded bar(heavy enough to feel weight but light enough to not get buried), squat as deep as possible and stay there 10-30 sec. Do 5-10 of these 3 times a week and you should see an improvement.
Wait, which one is it, mobilityWod, goblet squats or barbell yoga?

Either way, thanks for the barbell yoga idea.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
John Donovan

Profile:

They go together hand in hand
32/5'10"/233. 500m row-1:39/1000m row-3:53/2k row- 8:12/DL-495, FS-325, Back squat- 440, Press-205, Snatch-96kg, C&J-121Kg, 5k run- 27:30
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Michael Steiger

Profile:

I am not flexible at all. I can't touch my toes, it is closer to upper shin when i try. Hurdler stretches are comical when I try, however I can squat well below parallel. I do not get my hamstrings touching my calves but I get 2 - 3" below the crease. I increased my depth years ago with a trainer where I did box squats. Once I was good at a specific box squat height I would do free squats for a week or two to test depth and free form. Then go back to box squats with a lower box. I also did a lot of the squatting bare foot to work on developing some ankle mobility and support strength in the ankle. After about 6 months I had a very good, deep, squat. This was all done with twice a week squatting. Now before I started the program I would squat 295 but I wasn't hitting parallel. After i was squatting 255 but with good form. This worked for me and I've helped others learn to squat well with the box squat before they ever attempt a free squat.

This is my recommendation but be warned heavy squatting below parallel will develop a squatters ***.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Steiger View Post
I am not flexible at all. I can't touch my toes, it is closer to upper shin when i try. Hurdler stretches are comical when I try, however I can squat well below parallel. I do not get my hamstrings touching my calves but I get 2 - 3" below the crease. I increased my depth years ago with a trainer where I did box squats. Once I was good at a specific box squat height I would do free squats for a week or two to test depth and free form. Then go back to box squats with a lower box. I also did a lot of the squatting bare foot to work on developing some ankle mobility and support strength in the ankle. After about 6 months I had a very good, deep, squat. This was all done with twice a week squatting. Now before I started the program I would squat 295 but I wasn't hitting parallel. After i was squatting 255 but with good form. This worked for me and I've helped others learn to squat well with the box squat before they ever attempt a free squat.

This is my recommendation but be warned heavy squatting below parallel will develop a squatters ***.
Wait, how do I know if I am good at a specific box squat height? Also, what height should I pick if I can get to parallel with a 45 pound bar?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Michael Steiger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi View Post
Wait, how do I know if I am good at a specific box squat height? Also, what height should I pick if I can get to parallel with a 45 pound bar?
What weight did you use before you decided to dedicate to proper depth?

Work up to around 80% of that before lowering. Start with 1-2 inches about parallel to develop strength out of the pocket If you cannot get at trainer to help watch you then you are good at a specific depth if you can sit back on the box while keeping your legs, abodomen, and butt tight and squat up without a significant rocking motion to start your momentum. Some rocking may occur no matter how good you are but intentionally rocking to get up is not the goal