CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Stephan Giunta

Profile:
Re: Trigger Point Questions

if the tp are coming back, it means the mechanic is still faulty. so sure you gotta deal with them. as for your last question, unfortunately i do not have access to enough data to help you with this. you have to see someone that can do that kind of investigation. but keep in mind to ask the opinion of someone who sees the big picture. there are many around.not just the knife holder, if you see what i mean

the best of luck.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Giunta View Post
but keep in mind to ask the opinion of someone who sees the big picture. there are many around.not just the knife holder, if you see what i mean

the best of luck.
Roger that. I felt good about the ortho because he told me I'm "not a good candidate for surgery." Based on my pain level (0-2) and ROM (fine for normal daily activities), he recommended against the surgery. He said, "if you were at a high pain level, I could make it better but I can't get you back to brand new."

I don't care if I get back to brand new; I just want to get back to being able to do the workouts with the appropriate ROM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Status Update -

Started physical therapy with a manipulative physical therapy practice on 4/4/12. They also do dry needle trigger point therapy. As a result of 1-2 appointments per week since then, have seen significant improvements in neck, shoulder and upper back ROM and trigger points went away. During this time, therapist had me do no workouts or stretching (other than t-spine mobility work) until the mechanics were corrected.

About 3-4 weeks ago, therapist assessed me as having gotten the mechanics back to where they were supposed to be and cleared me to start working out again. Approach prescribed was to use light weights, 20 reps per set for a week or so and then start to increase the workload slowly. I have stuck with controlled exercises (shoulder press, ring rows, light bench presses, dumbbell rows and lat pulldowns) to ensure good form and shoulder position and have avoided metcons due to the possibility of losing form.

Within a week or two of starting to work out again, the trigger points returned. In conversations with my PT, she doesn't know why they have returned since my shoulder and neck mechanics are good. There is still some mild kyphosis that I'm still working on but that has also improved significantly since I started therapy. She also had to release my psoas last week and gave me stretching exercises for them.

Any suggestions for other things to look for that are keeping the trigger points from going away and staying away? I'm very pleased with the progress to date but I'd sure like to get rid of the trigger points and be able to return to a wider variety of activities/ workouts.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Alden Hingle

Profile:

I forgot to mention that I am also rowing on the Concept II rowing machine. I started at 200m and increased gradually. Now I am rowing between 700-1000 m per day as part of my warmup.

Also forgot to mention that the trigger points are in the infraspinatus and trapezius (bi-lateral) and the deltoid and armpit (left side only).

Thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Alden Hingle

Profile:
Recovery From Torn Labrum

Status Update

I'm 11 months post injury (torn labrum - left shoulder) and have been back working out for 5 months after 2 months of 2X per week manual physical therapy. The PT worked on scapular stability, t-spine mobility and some neck issues resulting from a skiing accident. I still do the prescribed exercises daily to keep the problems from returning.

To regain my strength, I started back slowly, initially using very light weights and high reps and then changing over to use Wendler's 5/3/1 protocol and short metcons (<10 minutes on leg days and <15 minutes on upper body days). If an exercise or movement was particularly uncomfortable or caused severe soreness, I dropped it from my routine. As a result, I don't do thrusters any more; the original injury occurred during a heavy Fran and I lost a week of workouts when I tweaked the shoulder again doing thrusters a few months ago.

As I finish my 5th cycle of 5/3/1 this week, my results are as follows:
shoulder press is within 10# of pre-injury personal best (pb)
bench press is 20# higher than my previous pb
deadlifts and squats are within 15# of previous pb
OH squats by 2# over my previous best
snatch is over by 15# and 5 reps (vice 3 reps)

I can also do dead hang pull-ups and dips again.

My only regret is that I waited 4+ months to start physical therapy. If you injure yourself and the problem doesn't go away quickly, get it looked at by the right kind of pro and get started on fixing the problem. The workout protocol I used worked because the PT helped me fix the underlying stability and mobility issues that contributed to the injury in the first place.