CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Jonah Searby

Profile:
Help with crossfit + powerlifting

Hi guys. Im new to crossfit but am addicted already. I do a fair bit of strength training, currently doing Wendlers 5-3-1. What i am after is some advice in how i may be able to refine my training to fit in WODs with the strength training. I am nearly 34, 6ft, 82kg (180lbs). My 1RM Deadlift 170kg - 374lbs Bench 100kg - 220lbs Squat 130kg - 286lbs Clean & Push 80kg - 176lbs. With the Wendler i train 4 times a week, weds off or light cardio. I do the compounds heavy then 2 accessory exercises 5x10. I normally do the WOD after this so im pretty worked out by then but still very capable of doing the WOD. Now im limited at my gym, barbell and pullup bar and thats pretty much it. I cant throw the barbell down so have to control it, i have to sqaut in smith machine (bad but no choice) I can front squat whatever i can clean as no squat rack!! So its a lot of bodyweight and running WODs for me.
So really im asking is there a better way for me to incorporate these together? For instance should i forget the accessory exercises, or should i forget Wendlers and lift heavy for 10 sets of 1-2-3-4 or 5 reps on compounds? Or maybe do 1 week Wendler 1 week crossfit with high rep compounds?? I cant change gyms as live in a small village in Spain, and in truth all the gyms out here are quite similar in not being equipped for heavy lifting, so i have to make do with what i have for now. My goals are to lose fat, try to get to around 10% bf, prob about 15-18% now, get stronger, would like to add 5+kg on BP and C&J, add 20+on DL and SQ. Keep getting better at WODs. Any advice would be so very much appreciated.
Thanks guys!!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Help with crossfit + powerlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Searby View Post
So really im asking is there a better way for me to incorporate these together?
I think what your doing sounds great! 531 + accessory + conditioning = a good day. I know I sometimes did no accessory work, but did them in my conditioning (metcon), and other days did all accessory and no metcon. The metcons you design should be shorter if you plan to do a bunch of accessory stuff. Metcon'ing all by itself one day is cool too, cause you can really go hard. You need to be the judge as to how much is too much, meaning if your not hitting numbers you want on your lifts.

I really hope others can help you work around the smith machine, or other limitations that I am unsure about by right now.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Overall you have a good framework.
If down the road gains start to slow down, you might need to decrease asssitance work or be a little more conservative in the total volume from Metcons.

I'm more concerned by your gym limitations. I'd really encourage you to seek out a gym that has a way to squat besides the smith machine. What is the barrier? There must be some good power racks in Spain.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I'm more concerned by your gym limitations. I'd really encourage you to seek out a gym that has a way to squat besides the smith machine. What is the barrier? There must be some good power racks in Spain.
I know, I almost wanted to post a pick of people lifting from make-shift stacked milk crates, or 4x4 posts in a 5 gallon bucket with concrete...it can be done, but cant always bring that to someone elses gym.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Jonah Searby

Profile:

Thanks guys, that helps a lot! Seems I'm on the right track! Maybe 1 week I will do no accessory and go hard on the metcons, metcons are WOD or similar yeah?? And I like the sound of hitting 1 hard on a rest day aswell!! Yeah the gym thing is a killer, I live in the country and the nearest gyms equipped for this is the coast, an hour away! Where I live I can't set up my own gym, so for a year or 2 it is all I can do, unless a gym pops up with the gear! Would love to open a CF gym in Marbella 1 day, so I just need to be patient for now and make best of what I have got, though I keep good form on the smith but hate using it! I might put more front squatting in, though will prob be limited to 80 - 90 kg for now!!