View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Ryan Ransom

Profile:
New to Zone Diet

I'm just starting the zone diet and I have some questions. Forgive the length:

1. If a restaurant has nutritional information for their items do I need to really measure (other than eyeballing) or can I say "Oh, the nutritional information of this meal says it has about 28g protein, 12g fat, and 36 carbs - therefore it should be close to a 4 block meal?" I don't mind measuring but I'm new at this so I'm not that great at eyeballing yet but I can't carry around a food scale or measuring utensils. Just trying to figure out the best approach.

2. Under the cooked carb section of the Block chart are the amounts before or after cooking? Example: it says 1/3 cup oatmeal. Is that 1/3c dry or is it 1/3c cooked? If it is indeed cooked, how do I know who much to measure dry (or raw with some of the other foods)? Same goes with meats or frozen veggies - meats cook down and frozen veggies amounts will change slightly once thawed. Do you I have to cook it and then remeasure? Doesn't that waste food if I used too much before?

3. Is a block of protein powder 1oz or 1 tbs? On the block chart is says 1oz but on some sample meal plans it says 1 tbs and it is clear that that 1 tbs is supposed to be one block. I know that a block of protein should be about 7 grams and I know that 1 oz of my protein powder is about 15g of protein so I think for me it should be .5oz is a block. There is still the discrepancy between and oz and a tbs though. Please advice.

4. Is a "peanut" in this case a whole peanut (two halves together) or is it a peanut half? Seems obvious as I ask it but I know some think it's the half and some the whole.

5. How does the zone diet approach "cheat days" or "cheat meals?" In my past diet (which was actually very similar to the zone, I'm finding out, but didn't have an easy way of measuring nutrients), I had a cheat day once a week (less than 20% of my diet. About 12% when all is said and done). I really like cheat days because it allows me one day to stop thinking about what I eat and eat what I want when I want. However, I don't know how the Zone approaches that. I have not seen any negative results from this way of eating so I would think that would continue even on the zone. Just curious what some thoughts on it are.

I'm sure there will be more questions to follow but it's a start. Thanks!