Thread: Tennis Elbow
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Tennis Elbow

MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT, for everyone.

I had an epiphany today so I thought I'd share. I don't think I've ever used that word, so I'm sorry if it's not appropiate, lol.

Now that my golfer's elbow is gone or pretty much gone.... I decided I'd train my wrists some more. I know there are 6 main movements one can train it at, and most rehab programs only have you doing some, but not all.

-Wrist extension: been doing some with DB's.
-Wrist flexion: had neglected it because I thought the forearm flexors are trained enough with regular whole body things, as one holds on to many things... but have included it now, realizing this was a mistake. It might work isometrically to an extent but I realized I had lost strength in wrist flexion, some plate wrist curls quickly made me realize this.

Now.... an old favourite of mine are sledgehammer rotations. I distintcly remember doing these a few years ago, and at the time (I had no elbow issues), I remember that I couldn't do the full rotation (180 degree movement) because I felt one way was much easier than the other. Back then, I remember that bringing the sledge from Supinated-to-Neutral I was considerably stronger than bringing it from Pronated-to-Neutral (Neutral being, the sledge's handle is vertical and the weight is up towards the ceiling). So I trained them sepparately, grabbing the sledge closer to the weight when doing the movement going from pronation-to-neutral (which I guess works the supinators).

Today I discovered I am almost of equal strength! I did some research and it seems one is actually supossed to be stronger at resisting pronation when fully supinated (as I used to be). I think that somehow my supinators got stronger, almost catching up to my pronators, and my pronators are not up to par. I wonder if this has anything to do with developing golfer's elbow?

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has played with this. One of the most linked videos I found on different forums, etc., was to a guy swearing he cured golfer's elbow by doing eccentric pronations. He just grabbed a stick with weight at the end and did the negative, letting it fall to the outside (letting his forearm supinate, so working the pronators, but in the negative portion only). So this definitely leads me to believe that either weak pronators, or a pronation/supination imbalance might very well be responsible for golfer's elbow. Thoughts?

Pronation/supination is a natural movement we never train in the gym. We turn doorknobs and stuff but we don't train it. The other day I put together some Ikea furniture, and (as embarassing as itsounds) I had not used a screwdriver in a long time. Next day I had a deep soreness in that forearm. Lots of pronation/supination with a screwdriver. As the bicep is a supinator, most people work those a lot, with curls, chins, whatever. But what about the good ol' pronators? I'm kinda thinking we're all forgetting them. Of course, I have much to learn when it comes to anatomy, that is why I'm stating all of these as THOUGHTS seeking opinions, not facts. Go easy on me