View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: Programming for competition

Due to a busy schedule, I am starting to follow Julie Foucher's "Train" program on Beyond The Whiteboard. I am recovering from surgery, so I can only do about half of the stuff right now--modified--but I love the programming. It is designed to be one hour of intense work for people who are busy. I am impressed with the programming and several aspects of how it is presented (a built in timer and ease of recording).

I'd suggest you look at some of the competitor's programming, such as Icon Athlete (Spealler and Sherwood). Invictus has competitor's programming, as does CrossFit New England (Comp Train). If you are two months out from an important competition, I would look at trying to go back in time and follow their programming leading up to the Open or Regionals--which would be more final prep.

One key with the online programming is you need to assess your weaknesses and make sure you are tweaking the programming to fit you. There is lots of great programming out there, proven stuff. But the coaches doing that programming, if they were programming for you directly, would tweak it for you if they knew your strengths and weaknesses as an athlete. To me you can probably do it yourself--it is not rocket science. Identify your weaknesses (BTWB is great for it--I have zero affiliation with it) and substitute or supplement to train your particular weaknesses.

If money is not a factor you could probably get some great coaches out there to program specifically for you.