View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #82
Brian Wilson

Profile:
Re: Official WordPress users thread.

Hey guys, having several issues with my sitePLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE. that I could use some help with.

After monster frustrations with GoDaddy, I switched (with the help of Ezekiel Martinez at CF Coastal - thanks Zeke) to A Small Orange. Things are running much smoother now. However, there are two issues with this:

1) Can't upload pictures. I can link to a photo on the web and have it show up on my site, but I can't upload any to the site. When I try I get "Unable to create directory /home/brian/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2008/10. Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

2) Header is pixelated. I understand that having a large header will slow my site down, but I think this just looks bad. I also don't have a header that is larger than the one shown. Any suggestions on how I can change my header somehow (to anything) so that it's not pixelated?

3) Updating to 2.6.2. I am scared to death to even try to upload because I am getting a whole litany of errors when I do the http permissions check with my Instant Upgrade Widget:

HTTP permissions check
HTTP permissions check failed.
Not all required files/directories are writable.

On most servers, your WordPress files are not writable by the webserver by default. In that case, it is strongly recommended that you use the FTP method, if you have FTP access to your WordPress installation. If you don't want to use the FTP method for whatever reason, you must make the a number of files and directories writable by the webserver.

Error: InstantUpgrade's working directory is not writable by the webserver.
Error: The base directory of your WordPress installation is not writable by the webserver.
Error: One or more of your WordPress files are not writable by the webserver.
Hide details

Checking if work directory is writable …
The work directory wp-content/plugins/instantupgrade/work/ is not writable by the webserver. This upgrade procedure requires write access to this folder. You should set the file permissions mode to 0777.
Checking if WordPress root is writable …
The WordPress root directory /home/brian/public_html/ is not writable by the webserver. This upgrade procedure requires write access to this directory. You should set the file permissions mode to 0777. (If this is your DocumentRoot directory and you cannot change its permissions, you might try asking your hoster to do so; elsewise you're out of luck, sorry.)
Checking if WordPress files are writable …
The files listed below are not writable by the webserver. If you want InstantUpgrade to handle upgrades automatically, every single of them must be writable. You should set the file permissions mode to 0777. As for directories and their content, you may select the highest level directory (e.g. wp-admin/ and/or wp-includes/) and apply the change to all subfolders. This way, you don't need to change every single file manually.

Any suggestions on that one? I think this has something to do with switching to A Small Orange.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-31-2008 at 10:48 PM.