Thread: Training styles
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Training styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
No HR monitor for me. But I train almost all the time at a percentage. Most of the time 85-90% to build aerobic power and then lately one session at 75% for building my aerobic base.

I have been thinking of getting a heart rate monitor to see where I land. As far as juggling my days it is VERY rare I deviate from what I get sent. I usually just suck it up and do the work. When my coach was asked about it he had this to say. "I don't care if you say you felt tired or sore. If you are improving week to week during each cycle that is what matters".
I got a Heart Rate Monitor after a lecture with Alex Viada on the benefits of cardio for strength athletes. Still don't do as much as I should, but the HRM has proved an interesting tool/toy. In particular, seeing how my heart rate responds to different activities was eye opening.

When biking I have to put in a decent effort to keep around 70% of max. Rowing I have to put in a little effort (like a 2:05-2:10 per 500 pace). Running, though, I've had times where I physically couldn't run slow enough to keep in the band I wanted. The running doesn't feel taxing at all, but my heart rates goes up higher than semi-taxing biking or rowing. Weird.

It's possible that there are some inefficiencies, but I mostly chalk it up to having huge calves and legs (and just being heavy), and it taking a lot of energy to keep that mass cycling. If anyone else has thoughts on it I'd be curious to hear them.