View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
Kevyn Piascik

Profile:
Re: Level 3 (CCFT) Test

About me: I have my CFL1, CrossFit Football, USAW Sports Performance Coach, USAW Advanced Sports Performance Coach, CSCS, and TSAC-F. I have worked as a college strength and conditioning coach (various sports and genders) and football coach for over a decade before getting involved with private athletic training and now own an affiliate in New Jersey.

Chris that is a great recommendation in regards to studying and I took a similar approach to studying for my TSAC-F exam which I took in January of 2015 a few weeks before first sitting for my CFL3, and had similar results (around 95%) in passing my exam. However on my CFL3 exam I scored lower/significantly lower on every domain on the exam. The issue with studying for the CFL3 is that for other certifications the study materials are presented with sample exam questions and a desired end result (ie: a passing score is designated). With the CFL3 exam the the "study materials" are just a collection of CrossFit Journal Articles and Videos with little direction or examples of questions to prepare for. Although I will let you both know that 49% of the test is on coaching. I am not surprised at the low pass rate of people on the exam especially since they give you no actual feed back on the results beyond a simple rubric style response to how you performed on each domain (ie: you scored significantly lower on this section than those who passed this exam; you scored lower on this section than those who passed this exam; I am assuming etc. because this is the only "scores" I received). You are assigned no numerical grade or feed back on specific questions that you answered, and are told that ~85% of people who retake certification exams pass successfully. You then need to wait a mandatory 90 days before you can sit for the exam again.

In regards to the types of questions on the exam there is a tremendous amount of video (Steven I might have responded to your earlier post...I know I responded to someone looking for feedback on the exam, but not sure). For example you are shown 7-10 athletes performing a movement in real time and then asked which athletes are performed the movement the "best":

Athlete 1, 3, 8
Athlete 1 and 2
Athlete 3, 4, 7
Etc.

The number of choices for most questions varies anywhere between 4 and 12 but the majority are in the 5-7 range making them more open ended than typical 3-4 multiple choices exams. You can play the video clips as many times as you like, and I watched each video several (3+ times) before deciding on an answer as the difference are subtle.

I hope this helps shed a little light on the exam guys.