This is week 4 of crossfit for me...and I am pretty stoked. I had a good amount of equipment to start with already...power rack, 300 lbs of oly weights, chin up bar, etc.
I have been reading posts on home made stuff and decided to give it a go myself with a Home Depot excursion. I am not real handy so it would have to be easy...and cheap. I am lucky enough to have 15' high exposed wood ceiling rafters in my garage.
1. I bought a 32' piece of rope with 750 lb rating for 55 cents a foot. I hung it in a loop over 2 rafters to spread the weight out a bit and put knots in it on the way up for rope climbing.
2. I bought 2 rolls of 100' 14 gauge metal wire at 6.99 each to use for rings. They are already shaped just right. I covered them liberally with duct tape.
3. I bought a 4 pack of cargo tie downs that are 16' ft long for $13.99. They come in 2 pieces for each tie down...1 piece is a 1' long buckle end that you can use to tighten things up. I did not use these ends at all. I used the other ends of which there are also 4 in the package. They are a long strap with an open end metal hook shaped like a "U" on one end. They are capable of holding 200+ lbs. each strap. I tied 2 to my indoor chin up bar to use for for ring pushups. I tied the extra strap material around the bar at the top to keep it out of the way.
4. I tied the other 2 straps to 2 different rafters in the garage for muscle ups. I again tied the excess strap around the rafters at the top to keep them out of my way.
4. I bought 2 large caribiners for 2.99 each. I hook the homemade rings in the caribiners and they stay there. Then I either hook the caribiner inside the house on the "U" hook for ring pushups or take them to the garage for muscle ups.
5. My weight is more than enough to keep the rings and caribiners in the open end "U" hook. I won't be doing any crazy ring work anyways so I don't see how the rings could or would come out of the "U" hooks.
6. Unfortunately pulling is a weakness of mine so I can't climb rope very well and can't do a muscle up....yet.