View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Re: "MMA Strength-Endurance Training - Be Stronger...Longer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
yes, but sometimes it disconcerts me. I mean, CrossFit is a open community and the main web page, and the effort behind it, is being given for free, from persons and profesionals that are working for free too, so my comments are absolutely coming from a respecful perspective. but there are things that, or you read like hell here in the forums, or you are not going to learn never. For example:

- If you are novice, you have to scale down reps or weights. It was recently that they added the BrandX forum where you can read wods for "puppies".

- I have never read "officialy" about the posibility of scaling up. What happen if you are able to do a Fran in less than 3:00 min? do you have to think about the posibility of scaling up? Or is logical to do a Fran, with the official reps and weights that appear in the web page, with the same weights for two persons, one that is 5'6f and 160lb and another partner that is 6'5f and 220lb? i think its a bit unffair. And there is no information about it.

Rafael, one thing that CrossFit is NOT is a hand-holding, tell-you-exactly-what-to-do, take-away-your-responsibility program. You, and only you, are responsible for your life, and your training.

Furthermore, although I appreciate the respect you show and your acknowledgement that this is all provided without charge, part of what that means is that yes, you have to do your own research. Yes, you have to read a lot, and think about what you read to decide if it applies to you. You may (or, more likely, will) have to do some experimentation with your own body to find what is best for you.

The issue of how fast is "fast enough" in a Fran (i.e., under what conditions should you add weight) has been discussed multiple times here . . . a recent thread about the "intent" of Fran shows off the diversity of thinking. (This subject generates *lots* of very different opinions, by the way .) There are some who believe that occasionally doing a "Fat Fran" (heavier weights) is a good idea (even if it slows you down). There are others who argue that the best application of that workout is "fast and furious", so you should scale down the weight until you can complete that first round of 21 reps in the same oh-so-quick time as the top performers (90 seconds or less). So, yeah, you gotta research, and, ultimately, decide for yourself. There are no "CrossFit Police" (or Guardia Civil) who will come to your gym and tell you to stop doing it the way you want to.

And, for what it's worth, Fran has the absolutely lovely property that it has one component that favors the "big guys" (thrusters at a specified weight of 95 pounds), and one component that favors smaller, lighter people (pullups). So your question about "is it fair" for people of different sizes tend to not matter much, in the long run.

The idea that you needed to be told "officially" about scaling up (or down) before you could do it is, well, amazing.

Oh, and, the BrandX forum with scaled workouts is not "recent". (What on earth made you think that?). It has been in existence for at least 3 or 4 years, and linked from the front page for at least 2 years.