View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: CrossFit affiliate lawsuit against Steven Devor, Michael Smith, and NSCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post
Ben,
I agree with some of your points, but the Devor study is actually guilty of something worse than failing to define basic terms. Of the participants who failed to show up to re-test, the study claims that

“Out of the original 54 participants, a total of 43 (23 males, 20 females) fully completed the training program and returned for follow up testing. Of the 11 subjects who dropped out of the training program, two cited time concerns with the remaining nine subjects (16% of total recruited subjects) citing overuse or injury for failing to complete the program and finish follow up testing.”

Unfortunately, not a single person out of the 11 was contacted by anyone from OSU, and none of them were injured. This means that the only explanation for these specifics in the data is fabrication on the part of the authors.

I agree that this is the real issue. If all they did was not define injury properly than i would just say that the study is flawed. however, if data was fabricated than the study is not only invalid, there is a clear case of fraud here. If the test subject is not identifiable, how can they be reached by anyone other than the test coordinator? there are just too many things that don't add up here and the fact that the person who was leading the study can't actually provide a single plausible explanation and keeps trying to go back to the "oh but we are actually pro CrossFit" does not bode well at all.