View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Mike Shaw

Profile:
Testosterone test confliction

Hello all,

Im questioning some results i have received from my doctor regarding Testosterone levels and would appreciate any explanation.
Ive been on a strength type program (heavy cleans, dead's, squats) with mixtures of CF & BJJ thrown in for good measure.
I eat mostly Paleo yet for a long time i have lacked energy levels, suffered mood swings and irritabilty and thought it was time to get something checked.

Blood work was done and my T levels produced conflicting results:
Testosterone level was: 23 (0 - 24)
Free Testosterone Level: 34 (60 - 110)

The following note was applied:
The free testosterone assay is subject to marked post prandial interference from fatty acids in the foods.
Apparent values may halve in the hour or 2 after a meal.
In males total Testosterone seems to be a more reliable indication of Androgen Status.

The morning of the test I ate what I eat every day, 3 egg omelete with fruit and fish oil, the test would have been approx 3 hours after this.

The doctor feels from his position as an athlete and doctor he would try Testosterone (shots) but said another doctor would look at it and may not be so understanding??? Im on the top of the T levels but well below Free T levels which is apparently what flows through the bloodstream and the body has access to????

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered....

Kind Regards
Mike