View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Mike,

I've done mid-afternoon Crossfit at the end of my day job (I work from 7:30 to 3:30 so I can hit the gym) and taught karate in the evening (6:30-9:00 3-5 times a week) for most of the summer. What I've noticed, as expected, is that you can't do both at full intensity. Either your fitness training or your martial arts training will win. During first 3 weeks of both, expect to be exhausted. All the time. Make sure you go out of your way to allow enough rest and sleep. Once you get used to it, try and balance the needs of both. On days that I'm wrecked from one of the girls, I would make sure my MA workout really wasn't physically intensive and focused solely on technique. In fact, training technique when you're shot physically is the best time to do it. If you can get your form solid while you're exhausted you're set in either the ring or the street. My sparring buddies told me that I showed measurable differences in my footwork and technique while fatigued.

Personally, I think your proposed plan is going to be overtraining unless you treat your Tuesday and Saturday PM workouts as an active rest. It's tough to juggle both and I think the only reason it worked for me is because I’m the teacher, and I get to pick what I do at the dojo.