Thread: Fat loss
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Lightbulb Fat loss

I wrote this for no particular reason other than I wanted to study for my CSCS exam. I figured that writing a paper would definitely help. I used my NSCA text book and some online rescources to aid my information. Feel free to pick it apart and please let me know what you agree or dont agree with. This paper or informative script is only meant for me to learn from.

Cheers!

The Facts on Fat and Fat Loss by Bryce Horrell

“At present, two-thirds of all Americans need to lose weight, and the number of overweight children and adults is growing at an alarming rate” (Simon 6). It is down right obvious that too many American people are too fat, but what exactly is fat? When I first starting researching fat loss I asked myself a couple basic questions about fat and the human body. How did it get there and what is it?

When we eat food it stores in our body primarily as adipose tissue or body fat. The main purpose of adipose tissue is to store energy in the form of lipids. Despite many of the negative views on fat in our bodies, it is actually used for many reasons in our bodies. Body fat is needed for insulation, protection of organs and for hormonal regulation. Fat also carries vitamins A, D, E, and K and supplies the important fatty acids necessary for the formation of healthy cell membranes. A simple explanation would be to say that fat essentially helps to provide proper development and functioning of the brain, nervous system and the production of hormones.

“It is estimated that individuals should consume 5% to 10% of energy from omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids” (Baechle, Earle 213). Since the intake requirements for these two fatty acids are so low and they are very prevalent in food, fatty acid deficiency was at one time only a concern for a person who had malabsorption disease. However, today’s obsession with fat free foods and a fat free diet has created a concern for otherwise healthy people who greatly limit dietary fat.

In order to try and shape our appearances, America has situated upon itself a fat phobia. I too often hear phrases like “I love this meal, it has barely any fat” or “I shouldn’t eat this, it has fat in it.” American people are under the misconception that dietary fat is evil. The fact is that if you avoid dietary fat long enough it can cause nutritional deficiencies and health issues. The good thing is that it is never to late to learn the facts and properly practice a healthy diet!

If you watch TV you probably, at some time or another, have seen a commercial for Lipozene. Lipozene is a fat loss pill that promises rapid weight loss in the fatty parts of our bodies. Decaslim, Testoripped, and Lipozene are just some of today’s most popular “magic pills” which promise rapid weight loss. The fancy gimmicks of those pill supplying companies may easily trick overweight populations trying to slim down. “Its pretty much a free-for-all,” says Dr. Arya Sharma, professor of medicine and chair for obesity research and management. “This opens the door for anybody who wants to make a quick buck” (Canadians Fork). The truth is that pills are a terrible way to try and lose unwanted body weight.

The facts are that if you have accumulated excess fat on your body, you have done it over time and the increase was most likely slow and steady. You did not just wake up one day with love handles and flabby arms! The same is true for fat loss. Regardless of all the promises of magic pills and fat free diets, you will never go to bed and wake up having lost 10 pounds of body fat.

Fatloss through exercise and diet is the easiest way to lose unwanted body fat. I like to define fat loss as inefficient total body exercise with short rest periods and high reps. Some of the best activities for losing fat are swimming, weight lifting, running, crossfit training, hiking, climbing and rowing.

Lets talk about your body’s daily energy expenditure. Your resting metabolic rate (your body’s rate of burning energy when at rest) consists of 60%-75% of your daily energy expenditure. The thermic effect of food (diet-induced thermogenesis) is the increase in energy expenditure, which happens after you eat a meal and lasts for several hours. Diet-induced thermogenesis accounts for 7%-10% of your daily energy expenditure. When you eat a meal your body has to digest, absorb, metabolize, and store food in the body. By eating you are speeding up your metabolism. The rest of your daily energy expenditure will come from your activities.

Since eating a meal increases your energy expenditure (speeds the metabolism), eating 4 to 5 small healthy meals or snacks a day will help keep your metabolism speedy and your hunger under control. Columbia University’s department of health says that skipping meals can actually have a negative impact on weight management. Often, as we eat less, our bodies expend calories at a slower rate (that is our metabolism decreases). Perhaps this occurs to ensure our survival, or just to defend a comfortable body weight. In any event, this slowdown is a real phenomenon, and has been shown in many laboratory studies.

Work Cited

Simon, Harvey n. t. Harvard Men’s Health Watch. Web. Vol. 15. Issue 8. 6-8. March 2011.

Baechle, Thomas and Earle, Roger. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. 3rd ed. Human Kinetics. 2008.

Canadians Fork Out Billions in Fast Growing Market with Few Rules. The Toronto Star. 20 June. 2011

Columbia University. Go Ask Alice. Web. 19 Nov. 2007.