View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
No it is not possible in any significant amount.

#1 Skin is too thick many layers of cells and the outmost are dead and dried out campared to what they were as live cells (look at a cross section in an anatomy text)

#2 Suface area is way too small an adult has a skin BSA (body surface area) of about 2 square meters.

Alveoli in our lungs by comparison are one cell thick and the capilaries are so fine blood cells pass by single file. The cells are also coated at all times with surfactant which keeps the cells pliable with the correct surface tension so these very specialized alveoli (oxygen and CO2 exchange units) function correctly.

The lungs contain about 300 million alveoli, representing a total surface area of 70-90 square metres, each wrapped in a fine mesh of capillaries.

The alveoli have a wall thicknesses of about 0.2 µm. (Normal skin thickness usually should be between 0.8 mm to 3.0 mm.)

So I would say the skin is about 500-1500 times thicker and has only about 0.025 as much surface area so it could absorb roughly 0.0025% as much oxygen as skin.

I did not double check my data so I could be off by a factor of 10 or more but does that even really matter? Don't even get me started on "oxygenated water"