Thread: 1 Month In....
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
Reuben Bakker

Profile:
Talking Re: 1 YEAR In....

I guess the title of this thread could be changed to 1 YEAR in now, since August 1st marked my 1 year CrossFitversary!

It's been one crazy year, being the first time I've found something fitness related and REALLY stuck with it. I FINALLY realized that the way to get in shape isn't some super diet or insane, short term workout program - it's a chipper. A long term goal that you can work towards each and every day - one WOD at a time.

So how far have I come in 1 year? Well, when I started I had virtually no fitness background, other than I loved the outdoors and being active - but having a desk job and poor eating habits for years meant I was way out of shape and overweight. My baseline workout I couldn't do 1 pullup, and 10 pushups was honestly pretty hard for me to do. Of course when you're 240+ and sedentary that's to be expected.

I've been going to CrossFit 5 days a week most weeks. I've missed a few days here and there. My diet certainly hasn't been perfect, but it's absolutely sustainable. You start to really care about what you put in your body when you work that hard to lose weight and get in shape. Oh yeah, I'm down to about 185 now, too.

Funny, I've definitely come a LONG way, but I still feel like I have SO far to go. I can do most of the workouts RX now, but when I do I still finish back towards the back, but my goals are shifting from just getting in shape to improving my weights, times, form, etc. And that's what I love about crossfit - there's no limit to how far you can take it. I love that in my mind I'm not done. I know I'll never be DONE. CrossFit is a way of life for me now and it feels freakin great.

For those of you who might be interested, I made a video about my CrossFit journey and even included a bit of footage from "Fight Gone Bad" last week. It's about CrossFit and motorcycles (relates to my job), but if you have 25 mins to kill... here you go:

(wfs) http://youtu.be/Aj3P852lIts