View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Triathlons

The main point I have tried to get across regarding the inclusion of CF with triathlon training is that they have different (some might say opposite) goals. For sprint (.5 mi swim, 13 mi bike, 3 mi run) or Olympic (.92 mi swim, 24.8 mi bike, 6.2 mi run) distance races the applicability of CrossFit's very intense training is a great fit. For long (1.2, 56, 13.1) and ultra (2.4, 112, 26.2) course racing the fit is not a particularly good one. When you go long you have to condition your body to moderate levels of effort from 5 or 6 hours for the half iron to 11 or more hours for the full course race. Fran, Cindy and the other girls will not serve you well in this endeavor.

I don't suggest for a moment that you give up CrossFit training, I think that would be a mistake. But it is also a mistake to hammer out an 8:30 Helen and think that is going to serve you well during 11 or 12 or more hours of ultra course racing. Your overall strength will deteriorate the more you apply yourself to triathlon or marathon training. The longer you go, the weaker you'll get. The better you want to do in going long, the more you have to apply yourself to going long and that, sadly, means a lot of LSD. Those events are aerobic and require aerobic EFFICIENCY not anaerobic power.

I have raced for 15 years or so and have gotten the ultra and long course stuff out of my system. I race occasionally in multi day adventure races just because I enjoy the struggle, but mostly I am sticking to sprints and Olympic distance racing because it does not conflict with CrossFit.