Thread: Helen Wheels
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #138
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: Helen Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Wow, what a time for you to start crossfitting! Must be tough to scale. No medicine balls at your globo? Thats what i use. I also bought a golf "impact bag" for $20 to use at home. I filled it with a few light weights and a ton of towels. I throw it at a tree in my back yard. If KB swings are ok with your PT they work the quads great too. Sounds like you're doing everything you can right now.
Hi Helen,

I am having a total blast with CF. I wish I'd learned about it a while ago. I've been doing OK at scaling most of the stuff where I've needed to. I don't know if Kb swings are OK or not with the PT....I do Db swings because the Kbs are not normally available. No problems with the knee(s) doing them, so that's a good thing. Squat position is not really deep with the swings, tho.

As for a medicine ball, I just got a chance to work out at an affiliate and am going to buy one and perhaps some other goodies (pair of rings, maybe, if I can find one, a used C2 rower. I LOVE those things!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Yesterdays WOD:

10 minute walk
CFWUx1
3/4 mile jog (7.5 minutes - i know, i'm a snail)
29lb Shoulder Press 5-5-5
29lb Push Press 5-5-5
29lb Push Jerk 5-5-5-5
45lb Shoulder Press 1-1-1-1-1
45lb Push Press 3-3-3-3-3
45lb Push Jerk 3-3-3-3-3

Then...a few jumping pull-ups! And they were pretty easy! These were my first real pull-ups of any kind without assistance. I think next i need to learn how to "Kip".

Today my upper traps are quite sore and my lower back slightly fatiqued. I thought that WOD would be easy, but boy was i wrong.

The gym i went to was awesome -- Union College -- they have everything! They have these "Olympic Ultra-lite Barbell" which are 29lbs, Bumper plates, real GHD, etc... They even have olympic plates that are the right size for deadlifting and cleans that are as low as 10lbs! So that means I could practice real cleans (instead of hang cleans) with only 49lbs!

I have a PT client that works at the College (she's approx 24yo & 106lbs) and I'm teaching her the basic weight lifting movements: Cleans, shoulder press, deadlift, pull-ups, bench press, etc... She is so excited! She loved it! I love working with people like her!

It was a great day!
Sounds like you had a great experience! It is wonderful to be able to do things you enjoy and share with others! Nice WO, by the way!!!