View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Josh:

sorry to hear about the disks. I have a pretty bad herniation at C5/6 and another one at C6/7. You are right to continue your activity as best as you can. I always point people to Dr. John Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain, which seems to have helped a lot of people including myself. He emphasizes the need for activity of the right kind. I'm not qualified enough to advise you on specific exercises.

However, I would say that my impression is that you are focusing too much on staying in shape, etc. rather than on trying to cure the problem without surgery. 4 hours a day of exercise seems a bit much. Have you tried ART, accupuncture, massage, and other modalities?

Over time I found that I could manage the level of pain by managing how much activity I did. At this point, you're in the acute phase so you can't calibrate. But I would try backing off a little on the extra work and focus on the swimming and walking for a few weeks.

You really don't want to have to have surgery if you can avoid it. So the key is getting this acute pain down as quickly as possible. I had two epidurals and they made it possible to deal with things.

Hope this helps. There are previous discussions if you search on treating back pain.