View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

In your first post you said...

Quote:
Although when I keep my shoulder blades pulled back when doing Shoulder Press, I still feel some pain, even if it's not as sharp as before.
Which, when combined with these pictures suggests most likely some sort of tendonitis with the supraspinatus (as it is in that area and the most often injured RC muscle) and when you overhead press the swelling there probably helps impinge the tendon against the acromion. (Reading back through the other thread I think this is the case as well).

Pic 3 shows poor thoracic mobility (rounded back) coupled the rounded/hunched shoulders. In addition, pic #1 you can see your scapulae are slightly protracted at rest rather than fully retracted. The thoracic mobility and rounded shoulders contribute to a lack in overhead mobility of the shoulder joint which, when exacerbate with swelling, will probably impinge the tendon against the acromion.

Treatment for that is generally massage to try to get blood flowing to the area and push the swelling away as well as ice after very light exercises (non-painful exercise). Some anti-inflammatories directly to the site.. although I don't know if you can get any. Also, work with the scapular retractors (aka rhomboids) like rows to help fix up your posture which is probably the most important part to keep it from happening again.

If you saw the youtube video in this thread like 5 posts earlier I would suggest doing that as your shoulder rehab work except eliminate any of the exercises that would hurt your shoulder. Ice after. Self massage or get someone to do it for you. Again, as much as you want to work out you can.. but don't do anything to aggravate it.