View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #43
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
Re: How Has Paleo Worked For You?

Alicia -- most recently I lived in siberia for a year and a half. I've spent time in central asia and afghanistan, and it's really quite the same, except siberia is more culturally isolated and homogenous, and colder. Otherwise, my experience with asia is limited --- I walked from the dmz northwest of inchon (in S. Korea) to the southeast coast (past Pusan) in 2004, and in 2006 I hitchhiked across northern China, which only took me a month. I don't feel I know China very well, though I've studied it.

Edouard -- I think it becomes reflexive to think of America leading the world, and thus exemplifying, evil modern technological practices. So we all say these things -- the cliche, "Americans drink too much coffee," etc etc.

The trends we're able to measure right now -- the leading ones are incidence of obesity and diabetes. These involve some lag time.

Even with the obesity, American diets are vastly superior to most of what I've seen elsewhere (with notable and important exceptions, such as Japan and France mentioned above). More importantly, the availability of good food to common people in America is unequaled in all the poorer parts of the world I've been in.

Where I'm living now, I almost cannot buy vegetables, except tomatoes and bell peppers. It's common in the ME to have good, genuine yogurt; I've found here that it's made with milk powder; for real cheese, also, I must drive to Muscat -- only processed slices here. In most of Russia, you won't find green vegetables at all. In Moscow -- most expensive city in the world -- very, very few people can get real milk; everyone else must use the preservatized box milk. Everywhere I've gone, the only available drinks are often marketed as health and sports drinks -- the ingredients universally begin: "water, sugar..."

I've spent time in western Europe as well. Still, I know that for abundant, diverse availability of healthy, real foods, nowhere beats California.

The marketplace learns, and wealthy people are going toward real foods; the rest of the world will follow --- starting with America's middle class. But in economically challenged and regulated environments, processed foods will continue to *replace* costlier, but healthier, foods, and that's going to be bad news for most of the world for a long time to come.