Thread: Knee pain
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
James Besenyei

Profile:
An orthopedic surgeon or sports medicine doc would do the trick. Physical therapists are not "yet" considered doctors, though that will be changing as they move from the PT designation to the DPT or doctor of physical therapy designation. I'm not sure how it is in Cali, but my experience in Ohio has been that PT's are usually on the follow up end of care and as such don't take patients directly. Now that may be different in different places, or even in PT settings I was not privy to during my experience. Not to go on a diatribe here, but I think it will be a blessing when PT's are considered docs b/c it will make it easier for patients who don't opt for surgery to take advantage of PT's even without the consent of surgeons who often don't have as complete an understanding of physiology, kinesiology, and preventative or recuperative medicine as PT's do. Yeah, that's a controversial statement, but I have a few friends who are in medicine (nurses, a pt, and a few md's)that have generally stated as much. Again, sorry 'bout the diatribe, good luck.

--Jim.