Thread: paleo and bbq
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
David Churchill

Profile:
Re: paleo and bbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Honestly, I don't think you should. I guess the OP said something about doing BBQ often, but if you're doing a few BBQs over the course of the summer, just eat the damn homemade cornbread and enjoy the hell out of it. IMO, a TRADITIONAL cornbread recipe is a quasi-traditional food, and no one got fat in the past off eating a piece of cornbread at a barbecue twice a year. It's when you get it with fried chicken and a giant Coca Cola at Jack In The Box every single night on the way home from work, and it's made with hydrogenated oil and corn syrup that problems arise.
I have to concur. I'm about to move out of a two bedroom apartment into a 3 bedroom house with a yard (I'm super excited seeing as how I grew up on a farm and HATE apartments!), and plan on increasing my outdoor activity level i.e. gardening, housework, yardwork, and also possibly a home business. On top of that, my wife and I are looking at trying an experiment with cooking along the lines of what/how they would have cooked back in the 1800's minus the woodcookstove in the kitchen lol. Call it an experiment in self-sufficiency. I'm wanting to test my theory of better, home cooked food with lots of activity vs food out of a box. I think it's going to be interesting.