View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
Dakota Base

Profile:
Re: Quadricep Muscle Pain/Clear Shape Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Brooks View Post
When the physio worked deep in the muscle - to the point of bruising, he described it as being 'very dirty muscle tissue'... What is this??
Vague statements like "very dirty muscle" are pretty common among sports medicine, physio, and therap massage folks. Think about gristle in a good steak, that's the best explanation I've received. More or less a lot of scar tissue as well as tension carried in that particular muscle.

I have a few repeated injuries that I've had various docs and therapists give the same type of description. I have regular steroid injections to mitigate pain in my groin muscle because of one severe injury followed by multiple 'repeat offenses' over the years, and have to see physical therapists for PT programming and regular therapeutic massages for that injury and my bicep and shoulder which have also suffered multiple injuries.

When the docs 'aggressively palpate' my bicep or groin, the muscles feel like a sock full of wires and gravel, rather than the pulpy feel of healthy muscle. I've also been through different phases of 'odd appearance' of these muscles with lumps or holes.

AGGRESSIVE massage or rolling can help break up that inflexible tissue and help release some of the 'knots' of tension to help relieve pain and improve ROM. It's a constant fight though, and I'm not necessarily 100% sure it helps healing as much as it just releases and maintains ROM.