View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
Dakota Base

Profile:
Re: The definition of being "big"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
CrossFit DOES define fit. "Work capacity across broad time and modal domains."
I like this definition, but I think it's lost in translation on some people.

I think of it this way:

Consider an athlete's training to be a wagon wheel, a central hub with spokes jutting outwards.

These spokes are contemporary for size/hypertrophy, strength, speed, metabolic conditioning, slowtwitch endurance, agility, etc.

Ideally, these spokes should be balanced to create a round wheel, which rolls. Too much development in ONE spoke means the athlete can't flex to support other aspects, i.e. a marathoner won't have much strength, a powerlifter likely can't hold a 7min/mile pace for very far.

Crossfitters can choose goals to focus on each of these spokes differently. Some Crossfitters might want to get larger, so their programming might focus on hypertrophic development. A crossfitter that needs more strength, as in the case with CFFB. So they may have a bit of a lopsided wheel, but they DO develop all of the spokes, rather than solely focusing on individual spokes.

So if you want to get big, Crossfit has an app for that, if you want to get fast, Crossfit has an app for that.

There's something to be said that "the Master of All is a Master of None," which is fine for a Crossfitter. Nobody wins bodybuilding competitions by Crossfitting, nobody wins Powerlifting titles, nobody wins triathlons by crossfitting. But athletes that need a well balanced wheel, like a football player, basketballer, fighter, high jumper, etc etc; these athletes can benefit from crossfitting.

But at it's core, how you define "big" is up to you. Guys like Jason Khalipa are "big," but the average Crossfitter really isn't THAT big. 185lbs, 5'10", not really that big, but bigger/more muscular than the average joe by a long shot. If you follow mainpage "metcon mill" programming, you won't get big. If you follow any fairly standard "balanced" crossfit programming, the average athlete will get more muscular.