View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Re: Main page spam filter

There's no explaining it, and likely no fixing it.

My standard reply/explanation on the situation:

We fairly recently switched from manually implemented filters to an automated system (Askimet).

Unfortunately, with the old filters (pretty much completely put in place and maintained by me) the system would explain what caused the post to be classed as spam. The new system does not provide any insight, and it also has a higher false positive AND false negative rate. The benefit to switching is, in my opinion, minimal to none, and I may switch us back to manually set filters. The ostensible gain is that it's pretty hands-off; askimet has a great success rate (although not for us).

Either you use innocuous words (wife, degree...) that the filters pick up, or something else in your posts sometimes gets them snatched. It may be your IP address is in the "blacklist" because a spammer operates (or operated) from that IP block.

I laugh my butt off at the paranoids who somehow think that there's a way to manually intercept comments between the time a poster hits "post" and the time it gets to the system. No way to see it, no way to catch them.

So, some slip through and get posted that shouldn't, and PLENTY of perfectly innocent, WOD-result-only, posts get snatched up. Like the nifty new "sorry you got caught" page says, please just be patient. I review posts as many times a day as work and life allow, and always get things squared away sooner or later.

Hope that helps somewhat...