View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Ivan Duong

Profile:
Gaining Strength - Just crossfit?

Hi all,

I have two questions:

I'm a 21/m/5'7" ~145lbs, currently in college. I've been crossfitting for about 4-5 months now. I have always been a smaller kid and it has always been a struggle for me to gain weight.

Over this period of time, I've seen my body fat drop and strength go up. Despite being on the paleo and eating more than I used to, I am struggling to gain weight. I have been yoyo'ing between 140 and 145 during this period, I actually dropped to 140 pretty quickly when I first transitioned into paleo. And have been struggling to increase ever since. Under the advice of my personal trainer, I've began having 2 scoops of whey post-workout and 1 scoop right before bed. I mix whey with whole milk.

Do you guys have any advice on how I can put on some weight? (not fat of course)

I train 3 days on 1 off, 2 days on 1 off generally. I have noticed strength gains over the last couple month. I made myself a list of skills and strength goals for the summer and I hope to be able to make them before I get back to school.

(current in parenthesis)

Clean 200# (155#)
Deadlift 350# (315#)
Backsquat 260# (225#)
Snatch 130# (0#)
OH Squat 100# (0#)
Bench Press 170# (135#)
Push Press/Jerk 140# (95#)

I was wondering if crossfit alone, plus some pre-workout strength work will be able to give me these gains? Or should I be employing an additional strength program on top of crossfit? If so, do you guys have any recommendations on programs?

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate any/all of your input!