View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Rivers Plowden

Profile:
My backsquat and deadlift numbers

I've always been stronger when it came to upper body vs lower body. In highschool I wrestled and swam. I spent a fair amount of time in the weight room. Although, I never received a great deal of coaching in wieghtlifting realm. I focused mostly on upper body and was able to bench 225 lbs. I hated squats and probably never broke 200 lbs in high school.

Fast forward ten years and I began CrossFitting in October of 2009. I had been CrossFitting heavily for a year and my numbers for deadlift and backsquat were 400 lbs and 250 lbs respectively for my 1 RMs. I have recently taken a sort of hiatus due to being military and moving, but now that I'm getting back into it and using a strength biased program I am still seeing the disparity.

When I look at other's numbers it seems as though I should be squatting way more weight when compared to my deadlift numbers. Granted those numbers have fallen off, currently I'm probably at 350 lbs and 230 lbs for the two lifts. What gives? I have good technique. I do high back squats and my ROM is pretty deep. Is this a problem with a specific muscle group that I need to target? I figure just keep with it and sooner or later my numbers will make sense. For what it's worth I'm 5'8" (5'9" if I try), 180 lbs, 13% BF, and male.

I did start running a lot several years ago and have run several marathons and an ultra and I wonder if this has something to do with it. Since starting CF though, I have only done the WODs and some Endurance stuff, no LSD.

Any thoughts?