Thread: Shoulder
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
Brian Hand

Profile:

Brian, I see what you are saying about overuse, but a stronger, better conditioned cuff will tolerate more work. Of course you don't want to try to beat a muscle out of overuse by working it hard and heavy! But a judicious amount of direct rotator cuff work can help prevent problems. If you're already having problems, it is not a great idea to try working the cuff without having a doctor or therapist look at it first.

John, the rotator cuff works hard to stabilize the shoulder during many exercises but it is not unusual for the prime movers to get strong faster than the cuff and cause problems. For beginners with no pre-existing imbalances, I don't think direct work is necessary. For someone who has gained some upper body strength, I think some direct external rotation work is a good idea but I don't think it's necessary to go past light weights. For someone who is pushing the envelope in upper body strength, a more detailed look might be a good idea.

Remember the idea is NOT to go heavy and fry the cuff. Easy does it. If it hurts, stop. Do it at the end of your workouts or at home later.