View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #33
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Re: My Video Training Log (For Critique Purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
I'll try. When you're setting up for the snatch, watch where your shoulders are compared to the bar. Your shoulders are what we call "behind" the bar, i.e. closer to your body. Ideally, your shoulders should be directly above the bar, possibly slightly in front of the bar, meaning more over the bar. Because your shoulders are behind the bar at the start, the bar/body system is not balanced, so you are being pulled forward and you have to fight that pull. You're losing most of the time. The weight is pulling you forward, I can tell because it looks like you're on your toes when you come off the floor. You should have your BW and bar system centered mid-foot, and even slightly towards your heels as you come off the floor and extend through the second pull.

I hope this makes a bit more sense. If not, maybe someone who can explain it better will chime in. Or, maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there?

There's something going on if your stepping forward as much as you are on snatches. You should be catching and standing right up, no forward or backward movement, ideally.
Okay, that makes a little more sense. Does it look like that's why my hips always rise first? To counter that feeling of being pulled forward? And does it look like I do that on my cleans as well? Maybe I should setup with slightly higher hips to allow my shoulders over the bar easier.