View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Graham Fedorak

Profile:
Graham's Log-Maybe if I log it I'll stick it out!

Okay, this is it. I'm started Crossfit twice now and crashed and burned, commitment-wise, both times. I'm struggling to stick with it and figure that logging will put it out there and sufficiently shame me into getting my workouts done. I struggle with what I perceive to be the inherent narcissism in logging my workouts for others to see but.....I need help sticking with it!

Background wise, I'm an athletic 28 year old who has worked out, on and off, for well over 10 years. However, I haven't stuck with it for more than 3 months at a time since I was 19 or 20. The two big difficulties I expect to have in staying committed to exercise right now are also my greatest blessings so I definitely should not complain. First off, my wife just had a beautiful baby girl so sleep is a little harder to come by than it used to be. Secondly, although I love my job, the work environment is a bit masochistic, and the hours can be somewhat oppresive.

I would love to join a crossfit gym, but my city (Kingston, ON) doesn't have one. Until the day it does, or until my wife agrees that we don't necessarily need to park in the garage (not going to happen...), I'll be sticking with my GloboGym. Plan is to do the WOD regularly, beginning one week behind what's posted so I can make adjustments and plan accordingly. I will substitute the majority of runs for the entire winter, and will get back into running a month or so ahead of next spring's soccer season. Instead I plan to swim and am toying with the idea of doing olympmic distance Tri's next year. So far I've been swimming twice a week for three weeks and have managed to go from only swimming 4 or 5 laps in a row to getting through 800 meters. That said, my form is awful and it is a bit of a struggle to get that far.

Okay, that's it, enough blathering. Time to get off to the gym and get on the crossfit train. Starting with Barbara today!