Thread: Scaling?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Scaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Peter Yoo Hyun Eriksson View Post
I can't say I know why bigger atlheletes are "weaker" in being able to lift x times their bodywieght, but many times it seem to be a matter of disproportion... at least when you look at "normal level" atlheletes. However there is no denying that a guy with the exact build as myself but at 5-10 cm bigger height and 15 kgs heavier will have a much easier time doing for example this workout: 135 pound Thruster, 15 reps
135 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 21 reps
135 pound Thruster, 12 reps
135 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 15 reps
135 pound Thruster, 9 reps
135 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 9 reps

Because for him thats about 30 kgs below his bodyweight(which is only about 60% of his bodyweight) but for me thats more than 80% of my bodyweight, which makes it much more difficult for me regardless if it's overall easier for lighter guys to lift our own bodyweight.

And I do belive that the wod's are designed with bigger athlets than myself in mind. So of course I would still have to adjust the weight for my personal strenght, but it would be easier if you had guidlines in the form of knowing either a) how big the athlete the program weas designed for or B) if we were given a "scale to aproximetly x times your bodywheight".

And the % of 1RM could also be a way of doing this, although this is also varied, because you may be very strong in a RM, but maybe not have a good fatigue. However anything in helping us scale and change the WOD according to our own strenghts and weaknesses would be benicial to getting us the best workout possible. Because now you just have to guess, and I would like to make those guesses a bit more qualified
Bodyweight does not equal strength. You keep switching back and forth between numbers and percentages which makes me think you don't really understand what I'm saying. The hypothetical 5-10cm taller and 15kg heavier person you described will not necessarily be able to do that workout easier than you, unless they also happen to be stronger than you.

A larger person can handle a larger absolute weight (i.e. KGs) than a smaller person, provided that larger person is also stronger than the lighter person...hence the WR weightlifting total for the 105+ class being higher than the WR total for the 69kg class. But being larger doesn't always equal being stronger on a person to person basis. And if you look at a workout like Linda which is based on percentages of bodyweight, it actually punishes a heavier person for the reasons I talked about earlier, which are related to the cross-sectional area of muscle as it relates to muscle size and strength. Simplified answer is that doubling the size of a muscle does not double its ability to produce force.

When I was coaching and had to advise people on scaling, I never asked them how much they weighed because it's simply not relevant. What is relevant is where they are in terms of strength and conditioning levels.

Also, the person who's 5-10cm taller has to move the barbell an extra few cm on each thruster and sumo deadlift high pull, so he's at a disadvantage in that respect.