Thread: Scaling?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Scaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Peter Yoo Hyun Eriksson View Post
I see your point, but getting a scaling suggestion based on your bodyweight would still be helpfull in being able to scale.

I mean the person who creates the WOD creates it with either himself or somebody else in mind when decisding how heavy the different lifts should be. It would clearly be helpfull to know how heavy the person is that the program is designed for, beacuse then I could just convert the weights to "x bodyweight" and scale according to my own bodyweight, although I would still have to adjust the weights according to my own strenght and weaknesses. It would just be easier to know somewhat how much you would have to scale. because there is no way escaping that for us lighter guys, lifting what is close to our own bodyweight or more will always be more work than for someone who is heavier.

Also the idea of having an "aim for time" was good.
No, it wouldn't. On a person to person basis, bodyweight has nothing to do with how much weight they can or should use during a workout.

What would be helpful is a scaling suggestion based on a percentage of your 1RM. When I used to program for my gym I would do that kind of stuff all the time....i.e. take 15 mins to work up to a 1RM power clean, then use 70% of that weight for the conditioning workout.

And actually, it's significantly easier for a lightweight person to lift a percentage of their bodyweight than it is for a heavier person to do so. Look at the world record squats and clean&jerks by weight class.....lower weight classes are always lifting much higher multiples of their bodyweight than the higher classes. That's why competitions use Wilks or Sinclair formulas to determine best lifter rather than simply a strength to bodyweight ratio.

In other words, if you weigh 150lbs it's much easier for you to get a 2x bodyweight deadlift than it is for a 250lb person to get a 2x bodyweight deadlift.