View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
Mark Rippetoe

Profile:
Greg:

"first, the back squat if performed Oly style absolutely transfers to the Oly lifts."

This has been an interest of mine for a while now. Here is an excerpt from a thing I'm working on now, pasted here to save me some time since I've already got it done:

<<<The Olympic squat has been the preferred form of the exercise for Olympic weightlifters for decades. This seems to be largely a matter of tradition and inertia, since there are compelling reasons for using the low-bar position for weightlifters too. Since the squat is not a contested lift in weightlifting, and since Olympic lifters front squat to directly reinforce the squat clean anyway, the reasons for doing it in training for weightlifters must involve other considerations. The squat makes you strong, and weightlifting is a strength sport; even if it is terribly dependent on technique, the winner is still the one that lifts the most weight. The high-bar position may be harder, but the low-bar position is easier on the lower back, uses more muscle, allows more weight to be lifted, and consequently prepares the lifter for heavier weights.
It is also more applicable to the mechanics of Olympic weightlifting than the high-bar squat. The low-bar position, with the weight sitting just below the spine of the scapula, is the same as the mechanics of the position in which the bar is pulled off of the floor. As the discussions of pulling mechanics in the deadlift and power clean chapters have illustrated, the shoulder blades are directly above the bar when it leaves the floor, and they stay there until the back changes position when the bar rises above the knees. (This is true for both the clean and the snatch, with the snatch being done from a position even less similar to the Olympic squat than the clean.) Low-bar squats done utilizing this same relative position will train the movement pattern more directly than the high-bar version, which places the back at a higher angle due to the higher position of the bar on the traps, and the scapulas behind the position they are in during a pull. And they do it through a nice, long range of motion due to the fact that the squat goes deeper than the start position of either the snatch or the clean and jerk.>>>

I am interested in how your interpretation of the Oly squat differs from mine. Also, merely widening the stance does not produce a "powerlifting " squat, just a wider stance squat.

Rip