View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: Concerned what effect the 2010 programming will have on future competitors :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Could you explain why?

And no you don't need all the competitors to do all the events and saying "Period" doesn't mean you're right. I agree that proper programming is (obviously) essential and I never said that. If you go with rank-based scoring then you can still fix it by reassigning ranks when you make cuts.
Because by eliminating athletes, you are now making the final events worth less than the starting events. The only true way to test the athletes is let everyone go and see where the chips fall in all events. Adding in the "cut" athletes for the final events will most definitely put spaces between the athletes who made the cut - its inevitable that some guys will just be better at some events, and if those events happen last - it truely affects the outcomes and final placings.

I promote and compete in strongman and I see this with every comp I do....you need all athletes for all events for it to be effective. I don't see why people can't see this?? trying to figure out some stupid formula of dividing the total points is BS because it does nothing to fully evaluate the performances. If anything, you are taking away the disadvantage of a poor showing on an event because you are making the defiicit in points someone gets by placing poorly smaller because you've just divided the difference and then let them proceed on the basis that the final event deficits will be taken at full value. It does not work.

(oh, and your other post about 1RM i agree with, so I'm not sure if you were trying to argue with me or what...but whatever).

Last edited by Stu Christensen : 07-20-2010 at 03:37 PM.