View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #51
Melissa Urban

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
What I am trying to change about myself right now is thinking, "I am never going to have ice cream again because it throws off my nutrition." Feelings of deprivation get high when I do this.
I agree, Amber. If I think in absolutes, or too long-term, it gets overwhelming (and I'd be more likely to throw in the towel right then and there).

There's a difference between "I would like to eat some ice cream" and "I'm bored and craving something so I guess I'll eat some ice cream". And you know the difference... so the key is finding something to get you past those "I'm bored/I'm tired/I'm upset..." moments. Here is a trick I use pretty often - I tell myself, "I just won't have any today, but I can have some tomorrow". Thinking that I only have to hang tough for one day makes it easier to put it off, and chances are by tomorrow, I won't feel the need to give in to the craving any more.

I do this with lots of things - like days when I feel like getting lazy with my workout. I tell myself, "I'll hit it 100% hard today, but tomorrow I can throw in an easy day." And then I go all out, and feel better for it, and the next day I'm right back on track.

Keep up the good work, everyone.