View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Jesse Gray

Profile:
Re: Coaches Sleeping With Coaches/Clients -- How to Handle?

While it is very easy to just say "no way dude!" we live in the real world. For many people the mojority of their social interactions are at work (lots of people find the permanent partner at work) or at their "3rd space", the place other than work or home where they spend the majority of their time. Hopefully, your box is that 3rd space. For a crossfit trainer the box might be the 2nd and 3rd space! So it is reasonable that this sort of thing may happen. Since this is to a certain extent unavoidable the best option in my opinion is to manage it well rather than trying to ban it. Lay out ground rules; no hitting on married people under any circumstances, no hitting on clients while you are coaching. A rule we had at one gym I coached at was the "one and done" rule. Basically, if there was serious chemistry between you and a client or other trainer you could go for it but you only got one opportunity. Screw that up and you can't make a move on anyone else.

Obviously this isn't perfect and every situation is different. It sounds like the OP's gym has a SERIOUS issue! In that case it may be time for a complete ban but there are always exceptions.