View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
David Birozy

Profile:
Hi Ron, sounds like we had the same thing. I had an AC decompression, and they routered out the underside of the clavicle to relieve my impingement problems. I wasn't told to avoid benching - I was told to avoid lifting anything overhead. Interestingly, the ortho said this had nothing to do with the surgery, he recommends it for all people due to the nature of the shoulder joint as it developed as we moved from walking on all fours to standing. Ya, well, thanks for that bit of advice. Perhaps a sedentary life would suit him better.

Personally, I've found heavy benching to be uncomfortable on my shoulder. However, I can do heavy dumbbell presses without any pain at all. As a result, I go light on the bar benching, and heavy on the dumbbells.

I've never used any meds, however if you didn't catch it the past few days, Merck just lost a huge case for Vioxx, and others are on the block too.

I agree with David in that exercise tends to help a lot of physical problems. However, I need to echo David's comment that you need perfect form, and be very careful about the amount of weight being used. I'd be worried that you blow out a disk by trying to get a single, double or triple lift. Be smart - you, me and most of us on this board aren't in our 20's any more - and we don't heal like we used too! Take it easy and listen to your body. If something feels "wrong" or painful - stop.

As for creatine, I'm a big proponent, though others here disagree. I've tried a number of different kinds over the years (regular, micro, ether, effervescent, etc.) Some work better than others, so you may have to experiment and find out what works best for you. What works for me may not work well for you.