View Single Post
Old 09-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
I have read some information that would indicate that when fat cells are not full, they trigger production of a hormone that causes hunger. This may explain why a large percentage of the population can't keep weight off for more than six months. The Zone book talks about the importance of eating frequently and with fats to carburate digestion. The idea is that with a constant supply of energy metabolism will be maintained at a high level. I also find that I am no longer hungry all the time despite that I have dropped over 40 pounds. My theory is that this "famine" hormone is not produced when the body is being bathed with energy, even if the energy is coming to the body at a slow rate. Anyone else have this experience?

It would make sense that at some point the fat cells would become so empty that they will signal hormone production, even though the body is receiving energy from food.

Has anyone seen research to study if people that have fat cells removed surgically have the same weight loss failure rate as those that follow a traditional caloric reduction plan? If the above is true regarding the relationship between empty fat cells and hormones, then the cells would be removed instead of empty, and hunger would not be triggered. I think it would also be interesting to see which diets suppress this hunger hormone; I would bet the Zone with low glycemic foods would rate highly.