View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Om Puri

Profile:
Re: Back Squat (going low enuf? lower back rounding?...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
It looks to me like you're basically doing a good morning, using your back, not your legs, to move the weight up and down.

Please post video of a full depth squat, with light weight if necessary for good form.

Katherine
Katherine, I can only get about 2 inches or so lower. My flexibility is not great. I am doing Low Bar Back Squat. Would what you said still apply? I will post another video tomorrow with lighter weight and try to go lower. In the mean time I will do more mobility drills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
do some pelvic tilts to activate the spinae erector muscles before squatting.

this is from my friends website (wfs) have a good read of it!
http://www.rangeofmotion.net.au/blog/fixing-squat
Thanks, Steve. I will try some of those mobility exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Kay View Post
Hello,

It looks to me like your intent is to be doing something closer to a low-bar / powerlifting squat, as opposed to a high-bar / olympic squat in which case I would respectfully disagree with those above who recommend going as deep as possible as fast as possible. Such technique is used by those performing a high-bar / olympic squat to great effect, but when performing a low-bar / powerlifting squat, the technique is rather to draw yourself down into the hole with your hip flexors, loading your hamstrings and glutes as you do so.

That said, even for a low-bar / powerlifting squat, you are stopping short of parallel, which it looks like you could comfortably get to. Also, if you watch the video over, you might notice that you initially raise your hips faster than your chest, which might be why someone noted that it looks like you are basically doing a good morning. Lift your chest at the same rate as your hips, and you will drive with your hamstrings and glutes throughout the range of the movement.

In any case, take what I say with a grain of salt. I was raised in the Mark Rippetoe / Starting Strength school of training, and as such am much more comfortable with a low-bar / powerlifting squat, or at least one that is much closer to that than to a high-bar / olympic squat, although I appreciate the advantages of the latter. Either way, advice that applies to the technique of one doesn't necessarily apply to the other.
Thanks, Brad. I will try to get the chest & hips to raise at the same time. If you can believe it, my hips used to rise much faster. I thought I had made some progress, but obviously more is needed.

I will also do some glute bridges before the next squat session tomorrow. Apparently a lot of people have inactive or dormant glutes from too much sitting, not to mention shortened hip flexors & dormant psoas (I certainly do!).

Thanks all. I'd appreciate any more advice.