View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #56
Ewen Roth

Profile:
Re: 100-0 : Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daigle View Post
Let me fill you in on exactly how that process works, because you are clearly devoid of first hand experience.
Apparently you have first hand experience as a poor coach.

Quote:
get some valuable game experience and become better for it.
Repeatedly stealing the ball at 1/2 court and going for an easy layup isn't valuable game experience.

Quote:
If they can, they will run the ball down the court with reckless abandon regardless of what else is going on because they can FINALLY play.
If you have no control over your players or they refuse to listen to your instructions, either you should not be behind the bench, or those players should be sitting on it.

Quote:
your repsonsibility as a coach to coddle the other team is NON-existant in the first place.
I never mentioned coddling anyone. But how about playing some useful basketball?

Defensive strategies: call off the press, play low, zone defense, switch players to positions they don't usually play, try for pass interceptions instead of 1-on-1 steals...

Offensive strategies: everyone must touch the ball once before a shot, every shot from inside the key, from outside the key, every play must include one pass to the low post and back out...

You can switch back in forth between strategies (in this game, more like "drills", in fact), and just like that, you run time off the clock, display and hone some real basketball skills and discipline, things that actually help your players down the line , and win the game 70-5 instead of 100-0. For the life of me, I can't see the downside.

And all this talk about "competitive" this and "elite" that from middling amateurs.