View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: advanced sports nutrition

So um, what happens to the fat and carbs then? They both get stored as muscle? Dude protein is how you build muscle. I have not read the book but it sounds like a book for endurance runners. If you look at endurance runners' diets, almost all of them eat alot of carbs, little fat and little protein. Look at their body comp, it's called skinny fat. They are really skinny (because they need to be in order to run such long distances) but they have no muscle whatsoever, it's all fat.

If you don't eat enough protein to support your lean body mass, then you will lose muscle, plain and simpe. In order to figure out how much protein you need to eat daily in order to maintain your LBM, do:

weight x BF% (in decimal form) = BF

weight - BF = lean body mass

There is no one diet to get the best body composition. Everyone is unique and has different macronutrient needs. I tried the Zone and it turned out to be too much carbs for me, so I ate more fat. Right now my intake is comprised of around 40-50% fat, 30-35% protein, and 20-25% carb. This works well for me and I am in the best shape of my life due to it. Try tinkering around with your diet, I am sure you will find out that high carb is probably not the way to go to achieve the best body comp.