View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #1070
Jeffrey White

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

The first step in changing any behavior is to be able to let go of any preconcived notions and just "let go"...part of that is being able to admit WHY you have the behavior that you do.

In this case, admiting what it is you get from food. Understand why it is hard to stop drinking soda, eating fast food, etc.

Yes people are powerful and no one said otherwise.

But what is more defeating to self-confidence? Feeling that you failed because you don't have the "willpower" or understanding and knowing that at the beginning you have bumps in the road because say, you do have baggage, stress and food with the right combination of sugar, salt and fat makes you feel good, even if only for a short time?

You don't have to be religous or see a shrink, but we also have to have balls to accept and understand who we are and why we are that way.

Outside of that, if you did have an open mind and read that book you would undestand that it is very calculated that food companies do make their food as addicting as possible so you want, and therfore purchase more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Somerville View Post
You should. AA has a success rate of about 5% so they need all the help they can get.

I never said addictions don't exist, they most certainly do. However, I don't believe that anyone is "powerless" to stop doing something. All these AA style organizations are just cleverly disguised religions. Admit you are powerless and then turn yourself over to a higher power. It's rubbish. People aren't power-less, they are power-ful. Telling yourself you are powerless is as good as giving up your dignity and self respect. I was an addict because I chose to be. I chose to smoke ridiculous amounts. When I chose to stop I did. I didn't shift the responsibility onto anyone else and whinge about how I was powerless and ask "why me?" I wasn't chosen to be an addict, I chose to start doing something I knew was addictive and when it came time to stop I did.

I'm not trying to make out that i'm special or anything, i'm just saying that I truly believe people have the power to change things in their life without meetings and religion and all the crap that goes with it. Giving up something is hard, no one is disputing that, but if you truly wanted to stop then you would.