View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #35
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Top 10 Ways to Avoid Giving a Client Rhabdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Shaw View Post

Over simplifying the squat was another error. Now sure, if you are training an elite athlete just tell them to squat. But, there is no way a weekend course can teach you to safely deal with joint dysfunction, muscular imbalances, altered firing patterns, poor core stabilization and lack of overall conditioning that makes up 99% of issue seen in the people seeking trainers.

Trainers need to know how to successfully identify and deal with these issues, along with effectively adapt and progress exercises for the people who fall into these categories. If they could do this you would not hear cross fit associated with rhabdo as much as you do, and you would see Crossfit Certs earn much more respect on the national / global level as strength and conditioning EXPERTS and not just trainers.
I would disagree a little here. Of course, a novice trainer will have issues dealing with clients with issues such as the ones you describe above, but in my experience, the CSCS's I have dealt with did not address these issues correctly. I have seen them waste a client's time with isolation movements trying to address "muscle imbalances" when they could be addressing all the problems you mention above with supervised squatting, and slow progression. It has been my experience that supervised performance of the lifts leads to much more effective and efficient rehabilitation than what I have seen from the conventional "experts" in this field. This has always been this divide between the CrossFit and the CSCS community, and this is where I think CrossFit gives you a better starting point. Not that an inexperienced practitioner in either realm would be the best person to deal with an injured client. Experience is far more important than either background. CrossFit offers an excellent opportunity to get experience training every day people that people training collegiate or professional athletes often never experience. Of course not all CrossFit trainers are good, but there are many out there who are excellent.

I happen to have a background in anatomy and physiology that I would say goes beyond that of your typical CSCS. However, I would say that the knowledge I gained from the CrossFit community and my experience are far more imortant than my degrees.

CrossFit is working toward national accreditation. That is why there is a test at the certs with a substantial failure rate. CrossFit's ideas thrust them into the spotlight before they had a chance to build the infrastructure, but they are well on their way to catching up.