View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Megan Zetter

Profile:
Re: Stop Injuriing human bodies

I can see where the OP is coming from as well as the other responses. Just because someone has a degree does not make them an expert. Experience often offers more than schooling. But where I can take side with the OP is that there truly is a lot more to taking someone through a workout than just showing them the motions. I have seen countless personal trainers put their clients through downright dangerous exercises. Be it horrendous form, difficulty level too high, or compromising the body, to name just a few.

I have a degree in human biology and will soon be a doctor of chiropractic, but I certainly would not suggest that just because I have extensive knowledge of the human body that I could successfully train people using Crossfit (I've never done it myself). However, coupled with my education and experience (I'm checking out a local box next week), I would feel very competent as a Crossfit instructor, eventually.

All and all it's pretty difficult to say what requirements are needed to be competent at anything. For me, I like to have experience and book knowledge. But there are plenty of successful people in almost all professions without a piece of paper with their name on it.