View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 10:06 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ok...here may be more confusion about fruit: My thing is to primarily eath what is 1) Local 2) inseason 3) Organic. It does not make sense to me to eat an organic watermellon in the middle of january which necessitated burning ungodly amounts of fossil fuels to get it here (seattle) from mexico! AS to why one should eat this fruit or that fruit...the local and in season "rules" take care of this.
Another complicator: My mother has an autoimmune idsease called celiac. Any wheat, rye, oats...virtually any cereal grain causes her serious problems. Celiacs also have problems with fruit due to the fructose. I have problems with most fruit ESPECIALLY apples and pears...they have a relatively high fructose content (mellons and berries have less fructose and more glucose and consequently a higher glycemic index...) Dont forget the "does it make me feel good" thing. I have not had eggs for weeks. I had some yesterday and they made me feel like crap. they usually do if I eat them alone. I have no idea why they simply do. On dan johns meat, leaves and berries site he talks about this. Eat a meal...see how ya feel.

On keeping weight...I add a LOT of olive oil to my meals. anywhere from 30-60ml (1/4-1/3 cup. If I do not do this i start loosing weight. i tend to keep my meals either fat and protein or protein and carbs. Look at John Berardis "massive eating" at www.testosterone.net for the theory behind this. Before cross fit I was about 165 and 10% bf. I am now 167 and as of thanks giving 5% bf. I have gained significant muscle and lost significant fat. My diet was good before and my training was good before. Since doing crossfit my training is better. The results are obvious. Eat what and how you feel best, follow crossfit...the rest will take care of itself. Tinker with this stuff take the various theories and use one for several weeks. See how you feel and what the results are in performance. never give up, never quit learning and tinkering.
Robb